Work starts on additional lane at junction 1 M32/A4174 roundabout
Work has started on the construction of an additional lane on the A4174/M32 roundabout.
The lane will be added to the roundabout between the slip roads on and off the M32 northbound.
It is estimated that the work will take around 12 weeks to complete. The works will be undertaken outside of the rush hour.
The extra lane, which is open to all traffic, should increase the traffic flow on the roundabout and ease congestion, particularly during rush hour. The work links in with a proposed scheme to construct additional vehicle lanes on the nearby Coldharbour Lane section of the A4174, which is currently out for consultation.
Councillor Brian Allinson, executive member for planning, transport and strategic environment, said: “This work to add additional capacity to this busy roundabout complements the proposed scheme to add two more lanes to the A4174 on Coldharbour Lane, which we are asking for people’s views on.
“The continued investment in South Gloucestershire’s highway infrastructure will help traffic flow better and reduce delays for public transport and all other road users.”
The X27, X42, X73, U4 and 462 bus services use this roundabout which is often congested and can result in delays. It is hoped that the new lane will help ease congestion and improve the punctuality of these services.
The scheme is part of a £70million investment into the Greater Bristol Bus Network to develop 10 showcase bus corridors across the region, including many that will benefit residents in South Gloucestershire.
Source: South Gloucestershire Council
Last 5 posts in Transport
- Public drop-ins to provide more detail on major highways investment - January 8th, 2020
- Weekend closure of A4174 Ring Road to remove contraflow on Bromley Heath Viaduct - April 20th, 2018
- Bus lane enforcement cameras go live in Patchway and Stoke Gifford - September 21st, 2015
- Planning application submitted for North Fringe bus rapid transit scheme - March 28th, 2014
- £1.3m boost for West of England bus services - October 22nd, 2013