Police urge motorists to avoid M4
Police were called to reports of a multi vehicle road traffic collision on the M4 this morning at about 6am.
The incident occurred between the exit and entry slip roads of junction 18 (Tormarton, A46 Bath turn-off) and involved three lorries, which had been in collision with the central reservation.
One of the vehicles was carrying what is believed to be concrete building blocks. The vehicle ended up on its side lying across the motorway scattering its load across all lanes of the motorway.
Traffic travelling both directions along the motorway were diverted off the motorway via the slip roads at junction 18 to allow the police and highways agency to clear the motorway of the concrete blocks.
However, because the peak period of people travelling to work is approaching police are advising people to avoid the area and find an alternative route into work. The westbound section of the motorway is particularly busy.
Recovery vehicles have been called to the scene.
The driver of one of the vehicles injured in the collision – a man in his 50s – has been taken to Frenchay Hospital although his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening or life-changing.
Source: Avon and Somerset Police
Last 5 posts in Police
- Avon and Somerset's 'Best on the Beat' competition is back! - April 18th, 2015
- Appeal for information about a man approaching schoolchildren - December 12th, 2014
- Public forum on local policing to be held in Yate - November 6th, 2014
- Police launch consultation on restructuring plan - October 13th, 2013
- Commissioner consults on police component of council tax - October 2nd, 2013