New £2.5m sports hall completed
Conservative councillors have welcomed the completion of a new £2.5m state-of-the-art sports hall at Hanham High School, South Gloucestershire.
Funding for the scheme was agreed in 2007 after a major campaign was launched by Hanham Conservative councillors, John Goddard, Heather Goddard and June Bamford.
As part of the campaign, a petition was delivered to local households.
The new state-of-the-art facility – which was handed over this week to the school by the building contractors – allows for a wide range of sports to be played, including 5-a-side football, basketball, volleyball, badminton and netball.
As well as a number of different court markings, other equipment has also been provided, including cricket nets.
Cllr John Goddard, who is also Chair of Governors at the school, said:
“We are absolutely delighted that work has finished on building this much needed new facility and we are very grateful to all the parents, pupils and members of the wider community who have supported this campaign.
Hanham High is an excellent school, but it has previously missed out by not being able to offer a modern sports hall, which is an important part of providing the quality of facilities students require.
What is particularly exciting is that this new state-of-the-art sports hall will be able to be used not just by the school, but also the wider local community.
There has been a lot of publicity about young people’s health and this is an increasingly important issue which needs to be addressed by ensuring that schools are provided with quality sports facilities.”
Source: Conservative Group on South Gloucestershire Council
Last 5 posts in Education
- SGS College calls for rethink after a huge increase in students resitting GCSE exams - June 2nd, 2015
- GCSE results at South Glos schools show "slight drop" in benchmark figure - August 28th, 2014
- Early years education scheme off to a flying start in South Glos - September 9th, 2013
- Employers welcome plans for new engineering college - July 3rd, 2012
- Young people gather at UWE for Ambitions careers event - October 19th, 2011