[Forum] Memorial plaques at council care homes

Posted on Thursday 2nd December 2010 at 8:07 am by SH (Editor)

Dear Editor,

Your readers may be aware that South Gloucestershire Council is in the process of closing its current 8 elderly persons’ homes. I was contacted recently by one gentleman who had placed a memorial plaque to his mother (who died in 2003) within the grounds of the Frome House in Yate. However, this gentleman had not been contacted by the Council as to whether he would wish to have the plaque returned to him as the home was closing. It was only through pure chance that he was told of the home’s closure and was able to arrange for the memorial plaque to be rescued.

Because of the possibility that other relatives may have installed memorial plaques following the death of a relative, I have suggested that the Council’s Community Care & Housing department should make attempts to trace the next-of-kin of any other former residents of the Council’s homes who are remembered on plaques. I have been assured that this will now be carried out.

However, if next-of-kin have changed addresses since their relatives died, the Council may not be able to trace you. I would recommend, therefore, that if your readers have placed a memorial plaque within the grounds of one of the Council’s homes, and they wish it to be returned to them, then they should contact the Council’s Community Care and Housing department (FREEPOST (SWB 1485), Bristol, BS16 7ZZ or telephone: 01454 868007).

Yours faithfully,

Cllr Andy Perkins

Councillor for Woodstock ward, Kingswood
South Gloucestershire Council


Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.