Council grants cash to strengthen communities
South Gloucestershire Council has made a series of grants to groups across the district to help strengthen and improve communities.
This financial year, more than £38,000 has been distributed in two phases by the council to Safer and Stronger Community Groups (SSCGs) to fund crime prevention initiatives and to strengthen and improve the quality of community life.
In this latest phase £26,500 has been granted to a total of 15 approved applications including: almost £2,000 towards the provision of an after school club in Kingswood; £2,000 towards fencing for the newly refurbished play park in Charfield; £1,000 towards security shutters for the pavilion at the George V playing fields in Wickwar; £2,000 towards the provision of regular amateur boxing sessions for young people in Severn Beach and Wickwar; almost £2,000 towards youth activities at Wapley Common in Yate; £1,000 towards security lighting and an alarm system for the Wick and Abson village hall.
In addition to these and other grants, over £6,200 has been given to the SSCGs to purchase 25 kits to enable their communities to set up Walking Buses to schools. These kits include hi-viz jackets, first aid kits, torches and mobile phones. Also a further £5,000 has been spent on Community Speedwatch equipment across the SSCG areas.
Cllr Heather Goddard, executive member for communities, said: “As part of building the Big Society, the council is committed to helping local communities to help themselves. The initiatives that we are supporting such as Walking Buses to schools and activities for young people will make a real difference to communities across South Gloucestershire.”
Source: South Gloucestershire Council
Last 5 posts in General News
- Changes to waste collection services due to the coronavirus emergency - March 29th, 2020
- Council earmarks £30k of funding to support community events marking 75th anniversary of VE Day - March 4th, 2020
- Winterbourne Medieval Barn wins Heritage Lottery Fund support - May 10th, 2016
- Changes to Sort It recycling centres in South Glos - September 15th, 2015
- Fibre broadband coverage extended to 17,000 premises across South Glos - March 17th, 2015