October is active mind month in South Gloucestershire
The official launch of South Gloucestershire Council’s ‘active mind’ month takes place at Yate Library on Saturday 1st October at 2pm.
From foraging for fungi to volunteering at a nature reserve, the council is encouraging residents to get active in October.
We have organised a programme of events to celebrate active mind month which aims to challenge, entertain and inspire the whole family to get out and about, or learn a new skill this autumn.
You will have the opportunity to start a new hobby, become a volunteer, join a community group, go on an owl prowl, listen to new music or research your family history – the list is as long as your imagination.
Some of the many events include:
- Fungi forays in local woods with local mycologist Justin Smith to learn more about the various mushrooms and toadstools
- The psychology of penalty taking with Dr Ken Bray of Bath University
- An evening of stargazing
- Workshops on using a digital camera, IT and social media sites
- Tony Prescott from Aardman Animations will guide you through the wonderful world of animation, from story boarding to puppet making
Cllr James Hunt, executive member for communities, said:
“South Gloucestershire Council has worked with many local groups, individuals and businesses to provide an exciting month of activities with the aim of getting as many of our residents as possible to become more active in their communities.”
“Research has shown that people who regularly take part in activities and are not only more mentally active but tend to be happier and healthier too. We want everyone to lead healthier lives and for everyone to have an active mind in an active body.”
A programme with the full listings is available from any South Gloucestershire Council office, library or leisure centre and online at www.southglos.gov.uk/LeisureCulture/activemindmonth,
Source: South Gloucestershire Council
Last 5 posts in Leisure
- First public bicycle pumps installed in South Glos - July 19th, 2014
- Tickets on sale now for Downend firework spectacular - October 9th, 2013
- Cycle and pedestrian routes now better than ever - April 4th, 2013
- Cycling groups angered by MP's refusal to support Early Day Motion - December 18th, 2012
- South Gloucestershire’s new Discover Festival kicks off in style - September 6th, 2012