Posts Tagged ‘Avon Fire & Rescue’

Free electric blanket testing available in Patchway

Posted on Thursday 6th January 2011 at 8:32 am by SH (Editor)

Residents in South Gloucestershire are encouraged to get their electric blankets tested for free on Tuesday 18th January at Patchway Fire Station.

South Gloucestershire Council is providing the free blanket testing in partnership with Avon Fire and Rescue Service to help prevent the risk of fire caused by old or faulty blankets. Nationally, it is estimated that old or damaged electric blankets can cause 5,000 house fires a year and older people are at greatest risk according to the charity, Age UK.

So if you, or a family member need to get your blanket tested, please book an appointment by calling 01454 863632. Testing will take place between 10am and 3pm.

Cllr Heather Goddard, executive member for communities, said: “If you’ve got an electric blanket then we strongly recommend you take advantage of this free service which is open to all residents in the district. Used correctly, electric blankets can be a great comfort especially to older people, but they need to be properly maintained and stored. It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

(more…)

Source: South Gloucestershire Council

Share

Woman dies after car plunges into pond

Posted on Thursday 31st December 2009 at 11:40 am by SH (Editor)

A woman has died following a single vehicle road traffic collision (RTC) on a stretch of rural road in South Gloucestershire.

Fire crews from Yate and Bath fire stations were called after reports that a car had left the road and finished partially submerged in a large pond in King Lane, Inglestone Common, Horton.

Firefighters recovered a female casualty, but despite efforts to revive her she was later pronounced dead. The deceased was believed to be in her 40s.

A Swift Water Rescue Team from Bath Fire Station also attended the incident and entered the pond in dry suits to make a full search for other casualties. No other casualties were found in during the search and no one else was injured in the incident.

Source: Avon Fire & Rescue

Share