Motorists help drive down crime in South Glos
Hundreds of drivers have visited special events at supermarkets in Bradley Stoke, Cribbs Causeway, Emersons Green, Longwell Green and Stoke Gifford to have their number plates secured.
More events are now planned later this month, supported by mechanics from Halfords Autocentres.
Community Safety Officer PC Roger Jones said:
“Swapping standard number plate fittings with security screws prevents thieves stealing them and using them to avoid detection when they commit other crimes.”
“Drivers might think their missing number plate is just a nuisance, but it’s important to report it to us. If your registration details come up as part of our enquiries into a crime we could be knocking on your door.”
“Fitting tamper-proof screws is a quick and effective way of securing your number plate and avoiding the inconvenience of getting it replaced. Of course if you aren’t displaying your number plate you could face a £60 fine.”
“We are very grateful to Halfords Autocentres, ASDA, Sainsbury’s and Tesco for continuing to support this initiative.”
More than 300 drivers have had the tamper-proof screws fitted for free so far this month in events at ASDA in Cribbs Causeway, Sainsbury’s Stoke Gifford and the Willow Brook Shopping Centre, Bradley Stoke.
The next sessions are being run at:
- ASDA, Longwell Green – Thursday 18th October, 10am to 3pm
- Sainsbury’s Emersons Green – Thursday 25th October, from 5pm to 10pm
- Tesco, Yate – Thursday 25th October, 10am to midday and 1pm to 3pm
A session in Thornbury is being planned by the end of the month.
Neighbourhood police will also be on hand to offer other vehicle security tips and advice during the sessions which are part of the Operation Relentless initiative.
Source: Avon and Somerset Police
Last 5 posts in Police
- Avon and Somerset's 'Best on the Beat' competition is back! - April 18th, 2015
- Appeal for information about a man approaching schoolchildren - December 12th, 2014
- Public forum on local policing to be held in Yate - November 6th, 2014
- Police launch consultation on restructuring plan - October 13th, 2013
- Commissioner consults on police component of council tax - October 2nd, 2013