Residents in South Gloucestershire are encouraged to get their electric blankets tested for free on Tuesday 18th January at Patchway Fire Station.
South Gloucestershire Council is providing the free blanket testing in partnership with Avon Fire and Rescue Service to help prevent the risk of fire caused by old or faulty blankets. Nationally, it is estimated that old or damaged electric blankets can cause 5,000 house fires a year and older people are at greatest risk according to the charity, Age UK.
So if you, or a family member need to get your blanket tested, please book an appointment by calling 01454 863632. Testing will take place between 10am and 3pm.
Cllr Heather Goddard, executive member for communities, said: “If you’ve got an electric blanket then we strongly recommend you take advantage of this free service which is open to all residents in the district. Used correctly, electric blankets can be a great comfort especially to older people, but they need to be properly maintained and stored. It’s better to be safe than sorry.”
Top tips for those electric blanket essentials:
- Have your blanket checked at least every three years
- Look out for danger signs such as fraying fabric, scorch marks, exposed elements, wetness and loose connections
- Store blankets flat or rolled up, never folded
- Switch blankets off at night unless they have a working thermostat control.
- Electric blankets should carry the British Standard Kitemark and the British Electotechnical Approvals Board (BEAB), or the European safety mark
- Never buy a second hand electric blanket.
Patchway Fire Station is on Rodway Road, Patchway (map).
Source: South Gloucestershire Council