Spring at Ram Hill Colliery (Coalpit Heath)
The coming of spring at Ram Hill Colliery, Coalpit Heath, will see a number of changes on the site. Bat and bird boxes will be placed in trees at the site of the old reservoir. The open space which used to be the top spoil heap will be covered in top soil and grass seed. Eventually this will be a haven for wildflowers.
Hopefully before Easter, the lower spoil heap will be removed to expose the connection to the Dramway. The weather is getting better! So David and Marian can get busy with lime-mortar to rebuild some of the walls.
This is an open site, and a near perfect example of what used to be a part of a thriving local industry. Sensible shoes are recommended for visitors!
The Friends of Ram Hill Colliery are holding a fund-raising quiz at the Coalpit Heath Village Hall, The Miners’ Institute, Badminton Road on Wednesday 2nd March at 7:30pm. Tables of up to six people at £10 per table can be booked from Steve and Liz Hillyard on 0117 923 6595.
Source: Friends of Ram Hill Colliery
Last 5 posts in Leisure
- First public bicycle pumps installed in South Glos - July 19th, 2014
- Tickets on sale now for Downend firework spectacular - October 9th, 2013
- Cycle and pedestrian routes now better than ever - April 4th, 2013
- Cycling groups angered by MP's refusal to support Early Day Motion - December 18th, 2012
- South Gloucestershire’s new Discover Festival kicks off in style - September 6th, 2012