Council to return to committee system
South Gloucestershire Council will return to a committee system of governance, following a majority decision at Council on Wednesday evening (21st March).
The option for the council to return to the committee system from the current Leader and Cabinet arrangements was introduced in the recent Localism Act 2011.
The new governance arrangements will be introduced from the Council’s Annual Meeting in May and the current Leader and Cabinet arrangements will continue until then.
Working groups will be set up to prepare for the transition between now and May.
Under the new arrangements, decisions will be made by groups of Councillors from all parties, sitting as committees with a Chair elected for each committee. Committees will be appointed by Council, which will also set out committees’ terms of reference.
Source: South Gloucestershire Council
Last 5 posts in Local Government
- Have your say on council’s 2020/21 budget proposals - December 31st, 2019
- Council looks at bringing bin collections back in-house - March 28th, 2019
- New leader, chair and vice-chair elected at AGM - June 16th, 2018
- Winterbourne’s Tim Bowles is new Metro Mayor - June 27th, 2017
- Anger at lack of consultation on West of England devolution deal - June 14th, 2016