£640K bonus for growing communities in South Glos
Communities across South Gloucestershire are to benefit from a £640K share of the district’s £2.1m New Homes Bonus allocation.
The New Homes Bonus is a Government scheme that match-funds the additional council tax raised for new homes and empty properties brought back into use, with an additional amount for affordable homes, for the following six years.
At the recent council budget meeting, which followed an extensive consultation with around 3,000 local residents, it was agreed that the district’s New Homes Bonus allocation would be split 70:30.
70 per cent is being used to support existing planned infrastructure investment as well as protecting front line services, with the remaining 30 per cent – amounting to £640K in 2012/13 – being earmarked for specific investment in those communities experiencing new housing growth.
These parishes, which have seen significant recent growth and so benefit the most from the New Homes Bonus grant received for 2011/12 and 2012/13, include:
- Stoke Gifford – £111,942
- Patchway – £76,983
- Yate – £71,606
- Frampton Cotterell – £42,380
- Filton – £36,326
- Oldland – £32,009
- Siston – £29,519
- Almondsbury – £28,620
- Winterbourne – £28,454
- Bradley Stoke – £20,099
Only Conservative councillors gave their unanimous support for this local funding when it came to the main budget vote, with Labour and some LibDem councillors voting against.
Cllr James Hunt (Con, Emersons Green), Conservative Cabinet Member for Communities, said:
“The New Homes Bonus is an important part of our strategy to support existing planned investment infrastructure, protect front line services, and ensure that those communities who are experiencing new housing growth have the additional resources to spend on the initiatives and projects that they feel would make the biggest difference locally.”
“Six years worth of New Homes Bonus has the potential to make a hugely positive impact across our growing neighbourhoods by rewarding them for accommodating the homes we need for local people.”
A policy for the allocation, distribution and use of this 30 per cent local allocation is now being developed and will be approved by the council in the summer.
Source: Conservative Group on South Gloucestershire Council
Last 5 posts in Housing
- Housing providers partner up to help tenants find their perfect match - May 21st, 2013
- Merlin's £20m PRC homes refurbishment project gets underway - April 30th, 2013
- House completions show positive construction picture for South Glos - September 19th, 2012
- Housing society adds more properties to portfolio - August 6th, 2012
- "How would you like us to improve?" Merlin asks residents - November 23rd, 2011