Posts Tagged ‘Bradley Stoke’

Jack Lopresti MP diagnosed with with bowel cancer

Posted on Thursday 6th June 2013 at 11:46 am by SH (Editor)

Jack Lopresti (Conservative), MP for Filton and Bradley Stoke

Jack Lopresti, MP for Filton and Bradley Stoke, has announced that he has been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Prior to the diagnosis, the MP had been in and out of hospital with suspected appendicitis for three months, culminating in a major operation three weeks ago.

In a statement issued today, Mr Lopresti said:

“I am to have three months chemotherapy. I am not sure yet how I will be affected by the treatment, but it is my intention to get well as soon as possible and do as much constituency work as I can in the interim. I apologise in advance to all constituents if I am not out and about during the next three months as much as I normally am. I am looking forward to getting back into full-time action in September.”

“The future prognosis is positive, most of the cancer was removed during my recent operation and in my consultant’s own words they will ‘mop up’ any remaining cancer cells and are aiming for a complete cure and recovery.”

“I cannot praise enough the medical teams and staff at Frenchay and Southmead for the care I have so far received and that I was looked after wonderfully by them when I was admitted to Frenchay Hospital.”

“I would like to place on the record my huge thanks to them and all my friends and family who have rallied round and been incredibly supportive in what has been a difficult few weeks.”

“I am very lucky to be supported by a dedicated and professional team both in Westminster and the constituency. My local office in the Willow Brook Centre, Bradley Stoke, is open every day 9 – 5 run by Liz Jarvis, my office manager, and Mike Cobb my caseworker. Please give them a call or better still pop in to the office (no appointment required) if we can help in anyway. Mr Jonathan Benjamin, as my Senior Parliamentary Assistant, manages my London team and he can be reached on 0207 219 7070.”

“As far as my local and Westminster teams are concerned it is business as usual. I will continue to serve the people of Filton and Bradley Stoke to the best of my ability, which I am always very honoured and proud to do.”

Related link: Official website of Jack Lopresti MP

Share

Two improved Wessex Red bus services launched

Posted on Friday 11th January 2013 at 1:38 pm by SH (Editor)

A Wessex Red no. 19 bus passes along the newly-opened Cheswick Bus Link.

Wessex Red’s number 13 and 19 bus services are to be improved from Monday 14 January, serving a wider area with better frequency.

The 13 route is being extended from serving the University of the West of England (UWE), Frenchay campus and Bristol City Centre to now include Bradley Stoke. The 19 is being doubled in frequency and re-routed through Cotham and Kingsdown as well as UWE and Bristol City Centre. Both services will have brand new buses with on-board ‘next stop’ information. The services are designed with local residents in mind and will be run by Wessex Red in partnership with South Gloucestershire Council and UWE.

The service extensions have been funded through the Local Sustainable Transport Fund; the West of England area received nearly £30m from the Department for Transport to build on plans for taking forward sustainable travel measures.

Services 13 and 19 have a flat price of £3 for all day travel, or £2 single. Prices are further discounted to £2.50 a day and £1.67 for any single journey for Wessex Red smart card users. Smart cards are available from UWE. Monthly passes also offer customers even greater opportunities to save money on their travel costs.

Talking about the improved services, Councillor Brian Allinson, Chairman of the council’s Planning, Transportation and Strategic Environment Committee, said:

“These new services are yet more evidence of the council’s continuing commitment to make travelling by public transport as attractive an option as possible for our residents.”

For timetable information customers are advised to log onto the Travel West website: www.travelwest.info/newservices

Source: South Gloucestershire Council

Share

Councillors approve action plan to strengthen adult safeguarding system

Posted on Tuesday 14th August 2012 at 3:28 pm by SH (Editor)

South Gloucestershire Council.

South Gloucestershire councillors today approved a detailed action plan setting out measures to strengthen the council’s adult safeguarding service following publication of the Winterbourne View Hospital Serious Case Review.

The plan builds on the urgent review and improvement action taken when events at Winterbourne View Hospital came to light. It also describes the range of actions that the council will take, both individually and in partnership with other members of the Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB), in response to the report’s recommendations.

Measures include improved training for council safeguarding managers to help them identify institutional abuse more effectively, as well as proposals for new joint working protocols between the council and the police.

The plan also sets out measures to enhance the safeguarding role of social workers, and to improve the SAB’s information systems to ensure that safeguarding alerts can be tracked and managed more effectively.

Welcoming the plan, Chair of South Gloucestershire’s Adults and Housing Committee, Cllr Matthew Riddle, said:

“This action plan underlines the council’s commitment to learning lessons from the shocking events at Winterbourne View Hospital.”

“The Serious Case Review laid bare the complex circumstances leading to the institutional abuse at Winterbourne View, and the factors influencing the response of commissioners and safeguarding organisations to those abuses.”

“Our challenge now is to act swiftly and effectively to make sure this abuse cannot happen again in South Gloucestershire.”

Cllr Ian Scott, who chairs the Public Health and Health Scrutiny Committee, said:

“The council will continue to work closely with partners in other agencies to take forward the work outlined in the action plan to address the findings of the Serious Case Review.”

More: Actions required of other bodies to be confirmed in September »

Source: South Gloucestershire Council

Share

Board publishes independent report into Winterbourne View abuse scandal

Posted on Wednesday 8th August 2012 at 9:28 am by SH (Editor)

Winterbourne View private care hospital, Bradley Stoke, Bristol.

South Gloucestershire’s multi-agency Safeguarding Adults Board (SAB) has published an independent Serious Case Review into the events at the Winterbourne View private hospital in Bradley Stoke.

The review was commissioned by the SAB following the disclosure last year of the abuse of adults with learning disabilities and autism at the 24-bed private hospital owned and operated by Castlebeck Ltd.

Prepared by independent adult safeguarding expert Margaret Flynn, the review shows that the abuse at Winterbourne View Hospital resulted from serious and sustained failings in the management procedures of Castlebeck Limited.

It also identifies where other organisations’ systems and procedures fell short in commissioning patient care, and in reviewing and safeguarding the wellbeing of patients before and during their stay at Winterbourne View hospital.

Recommendations include a call for greater investment in community-based care in order to reduce the need for in-patient admissions at assessment, treatment and rehabilitation units such as Winterbourne View Hospital.

The report highlights the need for outcome-based commissioning for hospitals detaining people with learning disabilities and autism and says that the use of ‘t-supine restraint’ — in which patients are laid on the ground with staff using their body weight to restrain them – should be discontinued at such units.

The report also calls for notifications of concern, including safeguarding alerts, hospital admissions and police attendances, to be better co-ordinated and shared amongst safeguarding organisations to allow earlier identification of potential problems and earlier action to be taken.

SAB chair Peter Murphy said:

“This is a detailed and far-reaching report and a vital blueprint for action and debate on the care and safeguarding of vulnerable adults.”

More: Report’s findings and recommendations "fully accepted" »

Source: South Gloucestershire Council

Share