Free swimming scheme for over-60s scrapped
South Gloucestershire Leisure has announced that its Government-funded free swimming scheme for the over-60s is to end on 30th July.
The move follows an announcement by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, in which the scheme is described as a “luxury we can no longer afford”.
The scheme was originally introduced in 2008, when the then Labour Government said it aimed to make all of England’s swimming pools free to use by the time of the London 2012 Olympics.
Related link: Swimming in South Gloucestershire
Last 5 posts in Leisure
- First public bicycle pumps installed in South Glos - July 19th, 2014
- Tickets on sale now for Downend firework spectacular - October 9th, 2013
- Cycle and pedestrian routes now better than ever - April 4th, 2013
- Cycling groups angered by MP's refusal to support Early Day Motion - December 18th, 2012
- South Gloucestershire’s new Discover Festival kicks off in style - September 6th, 2012